Wednesday, June 13, 2007

2007 US Open Predictions

Church Pews

First thing’s first, if you ever get a chance to attend a US Open Practice round, I highly suggest it. It is a lot of fun and the players interact a lot with the crowd. I heard stories of Kirk Triplett joking with a few patrons (notice my Augusta reference) and Phil Mickelson taking balls out of his bag and throwing them to the crowd. Well tomorrow that all stops, the real tournament begins.

I was fortunate enough to volunteer at a food booth between the 12th fairway and the 14th tee box. I got to see Tiger Woods hit a few shots along with Adam Scott and Trevor Immelman, who is rumored to have aced the Par 3 8th which could measure as long as 288 yards.

Of course everyone who is anyone is picking Tiger Woods to win, and why not he is the World’s number 1 golfer. Honestly, I don’t think he has the accuracy off the tee needed to win at Oakmont. The rough is thick, so thick that my friend at work lost his granddaughter in it. I will not be picking Phil Mickelson either. He is playing with a brace on his left wrist, and because he has been favoring that wrist, he also hurt his right. Lefty will tee it up, most likely make the cut, but not be a factor come late Sunday.

I have seven golfers that I feel have the best chance of holding the US Open Trophy (which you can get your picture with if you go to the tournament) come Sunday evening. Those golfers are Vijay Singh, Jim Furyk, Retief Goosen, Luke Donald, Padraig Harrington, Adam Scott, and Zach Johnson.

Coming off his victory at Augusta, Zach Johnson won another tournament and has the confidence needed to attack Oakmont. Luke Donald has the power and the patience to manage this long course. Harrington in my opinion is Europe’s best chance of winning its first US Open since Tony Jacklin in 1970. Furyk and Singh both have major championships under their belts and Adam Scott has won what most people call the 5th Major at the TPC at Sawgrass.

Goosen

But my pick for this week is Retief Goosen. This guy can putt, and that is exactly what you are going to need to do at Oakmont with the greens rolling fast. Goosen also has nerves of steel and knows what it takes to win the US Open since he has done it twice already.

No comments:

Post a Comment