deellow
May 2, 02:57 PM
I think that no other company has their products come under more scrutiny than Apple. It is amazing. When folks say how the media just falls over Apple and praises them constantly -- it cracks me up. The media is just itching for bad news on Apple, and they are looking in every possible place to find it.
What shocks me is the level of forgiveness that competing tablets against the iPad are getting. Apple is so dominating the tablet-computing sector right now, that the media is just hoping for a contender. Motorola and RIM have both released "Beta Hardware (http://technologizer.com/2011/04/21/the-era-of-beta-hardware/)" to the public and many reviewers are being soft on RIM with even more being soft on Motorola. If Apple released such a product they would get blasted in the media with nobody offering forgiveness.
Case and point... Mossberg on the iPad 2:
Keep in mind that Apple advertises 10 hours and Mossberg got better than that with the brightness setting 25% higher than Apple's default setting. Yet he had to reach to find something to complain about (e.g.: his iPad 1 test unit just happened to have extraordinary battery life -- keep in mind that most reviewers of iPad 2 got better battery life than iPad 1).
Gruber criticizes Mossberg even more in a post called "Bending Over Backwards" (http://daringfireball.net/2011/03/bending_over_backwards). Some of Gruber's points are arguable, but I think he is dead-on in many regards, especially his final quote:
Apple, however, does not get to enjoy the luxury of forgiveness that the media affords to those who are not the market leader. The fact that folks are trying to quantify a thickness difference of 0.2 mm on some units, completely amazes me. I'm sure its within manufacturing specifications and I'm sure that not every single Black iPhone 4 is the same thickness, and yet it is news.
This is the most thoughtfully remarked quote to this whole white iPhone BS. Particularly the line made concerning not all black iPhone 4s will measure exactly the same either. Cheers.
What shocks me is the level of forgiveness that competing tablets against the iPad are getting. Apple is so dominating the tablet-computing sector right now, that the media is just hoping for a contender. Motorola and RIM have both released "Beta Hardware (http://technologizer.com/2011/04/21/the-era-of-beta-hardware/)" to the public and many reviewers are being soft on RIM with even more being soft on Motorola. If Apple released such a product they would get blasted in the media with nobody offering forgiveness.
Case and point... Mossberg on the iPad 2:
Keep in mind that Apple advertises 10 hours and Mossberg got better than that with the brightness setting 25% higher than Apple's default setting. Yet he had to reach to find something to complain about (e.g.: his iPad 1 test unit just happened to have extraordinary battery life -- keep in mind that most reviewers of iPad 2 got better battery life than iPad 1).
Gruber criticizes Mossberg even more in a post called "Bending Over Backwards" (http://daringfireball.net/2011/03/bending_over_backwards). Some of Gruber's points are arguable, but I think he is dead-on in many regards, especially his final quote:
Apple, however, does not get to enjoy the luxury of forgiveness that the media affords to those who are not the market leader. The fact that folks are trying to quantify a thickness difference of 0.2 mm on some units, completely amazes me. I'm sure its within manufacturing specifications and I'm sure that not every single Black iPhone 4 is the same thickness, and yet it is news.
This is the most thoughtfully remarked quote to this whole white iPhone BS. Particularly the line made concerning not all black iPhone 4s will measure exactly the same either. Cheers.
Rat-Boy
Aug 19, 10:19 AM
Why is everyone ragging on Facebook for this?
It's not as if they invented it.
Foursquare, Loopt and Gowalla have had these types of apps for many many months.
It's not as if they invented it.
Foursquare, Loopt and Gowalla have had these types of apps for many many months.
Polo5
Aug 19, 11:18 AM
If you don't want to do it though, just don't use it. Simple as that. Always has been, always will.
"Don't want to do it? Then don't do it."but I have to! If I don't then who is going to complain and whine about it?
"Don't want to do it? Then don't do it."but I have to! If I don't then who is going to complain and whine about it?
{1984}
Sep 23, 08:37 PM
i guess everyone knows about the whole "MHz myth" thing...
Reason for G4 processors killing the Pentium 4 is cuz of the pipeline and i'm not gonna bother cuz everyone probably knows...
Reason for G4 processors killing the Pentium 4 is cuz of the pipeline and i'm not gonna bother cuz everyone probably knows...
more...
Dreadnought
May 24, 03:06 PM
In that case, bring it on, I eat punks like you for breakfast! :D
Maybe this should be a new feature for the folding widget: to look when you will be overtaken by someone or when you overtake someone.
Maybe this should be a new feature for the folding widget: to look when you will be overtaken by someone or when you overtake someone.
SevenInchScrew
Jun 14, 02:22 PM
Microsoft just confirmed the leak from yesterday. The new version of the Xbox 360 is shipping now, and will be in stores later this week. Details are fairly slim as of right now, but here is what we know so far...
- Smaller
- Quieter
- 250GB Drive standard
- Built-in 802.11N wifi
- Priced at $299 (same as the current "Elite", so expect price drops on the older ones)
- Click to HUGE-Size pics -
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4011/4700187853_b6ef7e862d_o.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4044/4700187973_78f9cbd2bc_o.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4070/4700818476_5a424f1067_o.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4045/4700818636_07459356a2_o.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4027/4700188445_cab38bb471_o.jpg
- Smaller
- Quieter
- 250GB Drive standard
- Built-in 802.11N wifi
- Priced at $299 (same as the current "Elite", so expect price drops on the older ones)
- Click to HUGE-Size pics -
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4011/4700187853_b6ef7e862d_o.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4044/4700187973_78f9cbd2bc_o.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4070/4700818476_5a424f1067_o.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4045/4700818636_07459356a2_o.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4027/4700188445_cab38bb471_o.jpg
more...
SevenInchScrew
Jun 17, 10:47 PM
So the only model they're going to sell is the Elite Slim one once the supplies on the current Arcade and Pro are out?
I give up. I'm not the droid you're looking for. Move along. Move along.
I give up. I'm not the droid you're looking for. Move along. Move along.
danielbriggs
Nov 21, 04:52 PM
This is not really new technology.
This is a very common device what is new is that someone is marketing it to Apple.
I agree... But sounds nice, but I just don't think it will pay off. Keep a fan spinning 10 mins longer may set you back around £5-10. + add's size an weight.
Nice idea, not practical
This is a very common device what is new is that someone is marketing it to Apple.
I agree... But sounds nice, but I just don't think it will pay off. Keep a fan spinning 10 mins longer may set you back around £5-10. + add's size an weight.
Nice idea, not practical
more...
7on
Mar 29, 03:50 PM
I am tempted to buy one for this reason. I was able to look at one in a store earlier today and wow, its ugly.. I really prefer the look of the DSi a lot more, the 3DS just looks horrible compared to the DSi.
The 3D aspect really means nothing to me as I cannot see anything in 3D (glasses based or this I assume) because of my vision issues. The idea of having better graphics compels me, however I'm not sure if I will get one just yet.
Go for the NGP then :p
The 3D aspect really means nothing to me as I cannot see anything in 3D (glasses based or this I assume) because of my vision issues. The idea of having better graphics compels me, however I'm not sure if I will get one just yet.
Go for the NGP then :p
geniusrock2002
Sep 19, 05:58 PM
Do y'all know the difference between a "PORTED" app and a true native app. Most applications are written on the PC , then ported on the Mac. They just recompile the app for the Mac. They don't use specific "libraries" or "classes" that takes advantages of the G4. There are certains hardware calls on the X86 platform that do take advantages of the X86 architecture. For example if anyone is running Visual Studio C++, he can download the C++ compiler from Intel that would work with visual studio and programs would run faster. I am not saying that they use "Visual studio" to make all the software, but all I am saying is that most software and games are written on the X86 platform then ported on a Mac.
more...

Facebook daily status messages

Add it to your Facebook status
more...

cute love quotes for tumblr.

funny facebook status quotes
more...

cute love quotes and sayings

All of these quotes are weed
more...

funny quotes on facebook.

life quotes and sayings for

love quotes and sayings for
more...
jackieonasses
Feb 16, 10:38 PM
I apologize if this has been covered before but as a new switcher to the Mac I was wondering if simply dragging a folder from Applications and deleting the preferences are enough for a complete uninstall. From years of working with Windows I've come to expect that programs cannot completely be removed even with uninstallers unless a manual search and destroy is initiated or a cleaner is used. Either the program would leave .dll files in the /system directory or there would be long-lived entries in the windows registry. Do any of these situations exist on the mac or have my years as a Windows user corrupted my thinking? Is there something akin to the registry on OS X? If the program comes with an un-installer, use it. If not Just drag it to the trash. It is done.
kyle
kyle
Liquorpuki
May 3, 01:52 AM
So, I picked one up the other day. Trying to find the "sweet spot" is really annoying. I'm assuming your supposed to keep adjusting the 3DS and your head until you don't see two images anymore, and that's the so-called sweet spot?
Between the 3DS and my Fuji W3, I've learned how to find the sweet spot
Usually when you look at an LCD you focus your eyes on the surface of the LCD. With the 3DS, you need to focus either past the LCD plane or in front of it for two images to come together into a single 3D image. Most of the games, like Pilotwings, have the 3D depth behind the LCD plane so 90% of the time you just pretend you're looking through a window at a distant object and the image comes together.
If you keep treating the LCD like a 2D LCD and focus directly on the LCD plane, that's when you get headaches.
Between the 3DS and my Fuji W3, I've learned how to find the sweet spot
Usually when you look at an LCD you focus your eyes on the surface of the LCD. With the 3DS, you need to focus either past the LCD plane or in front of it for two images to come together into a single 3D image. Most of the games, like Pilotwings, have the 3D depth behind the LCD plane so 90% of the time you just pretend you're looking through a window at a distant object and the image comes together.
If you keep treating the LCD like a 2D LCD and focus directly on the LCD plane, that's when you get headaches.
more...
iGav
Sep 15, 09:27 AM
I am definitelynot a 'power user', but I am a hardcore gamer. And when I see a friend with a year old PC playin Warcraft with less jumpiness then my 6 month old powermac, it makes me want to switch. Power does matter to me, and you cant get much power for the amount of money I have when it comes to computers from apple.
So what do you use your mac for except for playing games???
So what do you use your mac for except for playing games???

Millionaire2K
Apr 13, 12:37 AM
Just my thoughts.
I think some of you are confused as to what �Carrier preferences� means. It�s not saying anything about which iPad is selling better. All it says is which iPad people would �like� to have. It doesn�t even mean which they �do� have. (AT&T iPad owner might want the Verizon one because of the bad service). So a AT&T iPad user �may� show under the Verizon numbers. Also its no shock the AT&T iPad is harder to acquire. Its most likely due to customers being �use� to the company. (example: mom buying her son an ipad will go to AT&T if they have AT&T phones.)
Remember a good deal of iPhone customers are still AT&T customers. So when they bought their iPad why not just by the AT&T one. So since the mass �I� users are already with AT&T it only makes sense that that iPad would sell better. Also understand that not all AT&T customers hate AT&T.
I think some of you are confused as to what �Carrier preferences� means. It�s not saying anything about which iPad is selling better. All it says is which iPad people would �like� to have. It doesn�t even mean which they �do� have. (AT&T iPad owner might want the Verizon one because of the bad service). So a AT&T iPad user �may� show under the Verizon numbers. Also its no shock the AT&T iPad is harder to acquire. Its most likely due to customers being �use� to the company. (example: mom buying her son an ipad will go to AT&T if they have AT&T phones.)
Remember a good deal of iPhone customers are still AT&T customers. So when they bought their iPad why not just by the AT&T one. So since the mass �I� users are already with AT&T it only makes sense that that iPad would sell better. Also understand that not all AT&T customers hate AT&T.
more...

Dagless
Jun 14, 07:30 PM
The Wii is definitely being replaced with an Xbox and Kinect though.
The Wii "won" because of its software library and low price. The Kinect looks to have a standard console launch with a handful of supporting titles and is a peripheral to boot.
The Wii "won" because of its software library and low price. The Kinect looks to have a standard console launch with a handful of supporting titles and is a peripheral to boot.
rgs3
Apr 23, 11:35 PM
Backlit keyboard would take it to another level. Theres just something very awesome about the backlit keyboards. I dont need to look at the keys to type, I just like the esthetics of it all. I would also like to see current gen processors in a current gen model. The last thing that I could ask for would be edge to edge display with zero bezel around the display and trim up around the keyboard. Thats all extra bulk as far as Im concerned.
more...
tbobmccoy
Mar 24, 05:39 PM
It's a great deal; can I hire someone to convince my wife I need an iPad? Nothing I can say will convince her otherwise ;)
tech4all
Nov 21, 04:58 PM
this tech would have worked great in a powerbook G5......
I know really. I could see the tagline now:
The new PowerBook G5. Power cords are a thing of the past.
Yea, kinda cheesy, but you get the idea. :)
I know really. I could see the tagline now:
The new PowerBook G5. Power cords are a thing of the past.
Yea, kinda cheesy, but you get the idea. :)

Designer Dale
Mar 4, 01:56 PM
http://jddavis.zenfolio.com/img/s9/v0/p1055447075-5.jpg
Nicely framed flower photo. Good use of DOF to add to the prominence of the subject while allowing the background to have it's own character. You have contrast in the brightness of subject and background which are, intriguingly, complementary colors...:)
I went out to make use of the first bit of sunshine I've seen for ages:
http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/7522/contrasth.jpg
Same issue of lack of sun over here, too. I like the feel of this posed shot. I think it would be a bit stronger if the watch face were more visible. It's kind of hard to tell if the time is the same. Shooting this with something like a pocket watch on the sundial would be interesting, too. Similar shape but different "mechanisms".
Dale
Nicely framed flower photo. Good use of DOF to add to the prominence of the subject while allowing the background to have it's own character. You have contrast in the brightness of subject and background which are, intriguingly, complementary colors...:)
I went out to make use of the first bit of sunshine I've seen for ages:
http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/7522/contrasth.jpg
Same issue of lack of sun over here, too. I like the feel of this posed shot. I think it would be a bit stronger if the watch face were more visible. It's kind of hard to tell if the time is the same. Shooting this with something like a pocket watch on the sundial would be interesting, too. Similar shape but different "mechanisms".
Dale
swingerofbirch
Nov 14, 02:29 PM
Has no one else thought of the security implications of this? They are allowing people to connect complex computer devices to the electronics system of an airplane. What is to stop someone from writing a virus that would infiltrate the plane's computers and cause it to crash? With all the crazy precautions they take regarding toothpaste, it's hard to see how they could miss the obvious.
InsanelyApple
Mar 11, 06:59 PM
I will be buying an American made car at some point in the near future.
Then you may want to buy a Toyota Camry. Ironic, I know. :rolleyes:
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/23/cars-com-american-made-index-ranks-toyota-camry-1-again/
Then you may want to buy a Toyota Camry. Ironic, I know. :rolleyes:
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/23/cars-com-american-made-index-ranks-toyota-camry-1-again/
Rt&Dzine
Apr 8, 10:54 PM
What does temporary mean exactly? I mean if Obama has said he isn't signing any more exceptions.
I meant short-term.
I meant short-term.
rufwork
Apr 5, 08:41 PM
"Wozniak: Tablet is the PC for 'normal people'"
Because Woz would know normal people.
Because Woz would know normal people.
ewinemiller
Sep 13, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by MacBandit
What you need to realize is there are very few people out there that are actually complaining about there machine not being fast enough. Most people just use there computer for email these are the people that will replace there PC in 3 or 4 years not because it's to slow but because it's dead.
That is so very true, I was reminded of this yesterday when my mother called asking about adding wireless to her laptop. The mininum spec to use the card was a 200mhz Pentium and she only has a 133mhz! It still works fine for email, word, etc. I guess some folks have a lot more patience than I.
What you need to realize is there are very few people out there that are actually complaining about there machine not being fast enough. Most people just use there computer for email these are the people that will replace there PC in 3 or 4 years not because it's to slow but because it's dead.
That is so very true, I was reminded of this yesterday when my mother called asking about adding wireless to her laptop. The mininum spec to use the card was a 200mhz Pentium and she only has a 133mhz! It still works fine for email, word, etc. I guess some folks have a lot more patience than I.
No comments:
Post a Comment