iGary
Sep 9, 09:17 AM
I've driven through Valle Crucis (http://www.vallecrucis.com/) a couple times, but never stayed. It's a gorgeous, isolated N.C. mountain town. May be farther than you're willing to drive, though--I'd guess about 8 hours from Maryland.
Tha looks tempting, WM.
I'm also thinking of packing up my dusty collection of new, but long-unused fly rods and heading to Pennsylvania for some trout.
Tha looks tempting, WM.
I'm also thinking of packing up my dusty collection of new, but long-unused fly rods and heading to Pennsylvania for some trout.
Atothendrew24
Mar 13, 01:09 PM
I had a problem here in Arizona where there is no daylight savings time. I have the my AT&T iPhone set to auto set date and time and it was a hour ahead.
ex. My alarm went off at 10:30 when it was actually 9:30.
ex. My alarm went off at 10:30 when it was actually 9:30.
speedfreak007
Feb 18, 10:32 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)
Get better for the sake of mankind, mr jobs!
Get better for the sake of mankind, mr jobs!
Ugg
Apr 3, 06:07 PM
I think this mentality is a direct result of the growing income gap in the US. If you pay the peons (lower and increasingly middle classes) less, any tax at all is going to hurt them. When the economy contracts, take away more of what makes a civil society civil and ramp up the continual but false idea that we're overtaxed...
It's time to take back the asylum.
It's time to take back the asylum.
more...
barenature
Apr 26, 02:25 AM
Hello,
Something odd happened to me yesterday and I'd like to ask for your opinion. I had been postponing the latest update of OSX for a few weeks and decided to finally install this update yesterday.
After installing this update, my iMac became terribly slow up to the point that it is basically unusable. Booting up takes ages and when logged in I see the spinning beach ball more than I'd like. I couldn't figure out what the problem was and decided to simply do a clean install as I did not have the time to figure this out.
After a clean install, I downloaded all the updates and the iMac seemed to run smooth again, but this morning I noticed that the iMac is again extremely slow.
Has anyone of you experienced this problem before?
Some additional information:
- iMac 20" 2.4GHz 4GB RAM 320 HDD
- tried resetting PRAM
- HDD only has one partition (so no Bootcamp)
UPDATE:
I have run an Apple Hardware Test and I am getting an HDD error. The odd thing is that when I now boot from the install DVD and launch Disk Utility, my HD is not even showing up. It only shows up as a drive labeled "Media".

of The World#39;s islands and
more...

Artificial islands arranged

Are Dubai#39;s World Islands
more...

#39;The World Islands#39;, Dubai

The World is sinking: Dubai
more...

The one island that actually

Dubai: Limitless is to create,
more...

the island of ireland, dubai

dubai, aerial, dubai, world,
more...

Dubai islands presents Palm

The World Islands.
more...

The Dubai Palm Islands are the

Dubai world islands,Dubai

Dubai World Islands — an
Something odd happened to me yesterday and I'd like to ask for your opinion. I had been postponing the latest update of OSX for a few weeks and decided to finally install this update yesterday.
After installing this update, my iMac became terribly slow up to the point that it is basically unusable. Booting up takes ages and when logged in I see the spinning beach ball more than I'd like. I couldn't figure out what the problem was and decided to simply do a clean install as I did not have the time to figure this out.
After a clean install, I downloaded all the updates and the iMac seemed to run smooth again, but this morning I noticed that the iMac is again extremely slow.
Has anyone of you experienced this problem before?
Some additional information:
- iMac 20" 2.4GHz 4GB RAM 320 HDD
- tried resetting PRAM
- HDD only has one partition (so no Bootcamp)
UPDATE:
I have run an Apple Hardware Test and I am getting an HDD error. The odd thing is that when I now boot from the install DVD and launch Disk Utility, my HD is not even showing up. It only shows up as a drive labeled "Media".
KnightWRX
Apr 26, 09:05 AM
That is what the USB stick is for! No need to download from anywhere. Don't cherry pick what you want to see and leave out the other options.
And a Apple branded USB Thumb drive makes no sense cost wise! DVD makes much more sense as an installation media. And you know what, shipping .iso files or images you can write to your own USB stick outside the Mac App Store makes EVEN MORE sense! And even more sense is shipping a simple 20 MB file (either iso or USB thumb drive format) that basically boots the Mac into the installer and gets the rest of the OS from FTP/HTTP! Wow, 1996 called they want their distribution method back...
Stop cherry picking arguments to answer and look, I can abuse exclamation points too!
Saying we need DVD Drives just because all the machines out there (still) have DVD drives is a poor argument - following that we still would have floppies. I don't want a DVD drive in my next machine. I would need it only for reinstalling the OS (which on MacOS I actually never had to do, but worst case it might be needed). Actually I won't have a DVD in my next machine since it will be the MBA. The future is here.
Then that next machine can come with a USB thumb drive like the MBA! But mass duplicating Lion media for retail sale is not about future Mac machines, it's about current owners buying the OS for their current Macs, which currently have DVD drives.
And if you see the whole picture (distribution, shipping, storage, ...) I doubt that a read-only chip on a USB stick is much more expensive - and you save on all new machines the cost for the DVD drive and can use the space for better things. If it is so much more expensive, why does the cheapest Apple laptop come with a USB stick instead of DVD? Yes it might be a tiny bit more expensive.
It's at least 15$ more expensive for a 4 GB drive. More for a 8 GB drive. DVDs cost pennies. USB Flash memory doesn't. You can put your hands over your hears and refuse to listen to the truth all you want, but that's how it is.
Duplication time and costs alone make this prohibitive. Where pressing a DVD takes a few seconds is not less, the Flash memory is limited by its writing speed. 4GB is non-trivial to write out, 8 GB is twice as long. We're talking at least a few minutes per drive. Pair that to the massive parrallele storage array is that writing out these in parallele, and costs go way up over a simple DVD press.
How often to you reinstall your OS that you keep inserting and removing it and scratching it all up? It should be a cheap stick (not good for anything else) that just sits 99.99999% of its time in the shelf. It's not that this is meant as a 'free Apple branded USB Stick' that you use all the time.
Mine is still in its packaing if you want it. I can ship it to you if that is really just you want, instead of spamming the forums asking for an overpriced installation media when DVD makes much more economical sense for Apple and its users.
As for the scratching, reports on the MBA forum are that 1 use is enough to leave the thumb-drive in a less than pristine state. Not multiple. Not "reinstall the OS every week". 1 use. It's just that cheaply made and frankly, from having looked at it, I can agree it is. With no guides to insert it into the port properly, there is no question in my mind that it will get scratched up pretty bad the first time you try to use it.
And a Apple branded USB Thumb drive makes no sense cost wise! DVD makes much more sense as an installation media. And you know what, shipping .iso files or images you can write to your own USB stick outside the Mac App Store makes EVEN MORE sense! And even more sense is shipping a simple 20 MB file (either iso or USB thumb drive format) that basically boots the Mac into the installer and gets the rest of the OS from FTP/HTTP! Wow, 1996 called they want their distribution method back...
Stop cherry picking arguments to answer and look, I can abuse exclamation points too!
Saying we need DVD Drives just because all the machines out there (still) have DVD drives is a poor argument - following that we still would have floppies. I don't want a DVD drive in my next machine. I would need it only for reinstalling the OS (which on MacOS I actually never had to do, but worst case it might be needed). Actually I won't have a DVD in my next machine since it will be the MBA. The future is here.
Then that next machine can come with a USB thumb drive like the MBA! But mass duplicating Lion media for retail sale is not about future Mac machines, it's about current owners buying the OS for their current Macs, which currently have DVD drives.
And if you see the whole picture (distribution, shipping, storage, ...) I doubt that a read-only chip on a USB stick is much more expensive - and you save on all new machines the cost for the DVD drive and can use the space for better things. If it is so much more expensive, why does the cheapest Apple laptop come with a USB stick instead of DVD? Yes it might be a tiny bit more expensive.
It's at least 15$ more expensive for a 4 GB drive. More for a 8 GB drive. DVDs cost pennies. USB Flash memory doesn't. You can put your hands over your hears and refuse to listen to the truth all you want, but that's how it is.
Duplication time and costs alone make this prohibitive. Where pressing a DVD takes a few seconds is not less, the Flash memory is limited by its writing speed. 4GB is non-trivial to write out, 8 GB is twice as long. We're talking at least a few minutes per drive. Pair that to the massive parrallele storage array is that writing out these in parallele, and costs go way up over a simple DVD press.
How often to you reinstall your OS that you keep inserting and removing it and scratching it all up? It should be a cheap stick (not good for anything else) that just sits 99.99999% of its time in the shelf. It's not that this is meant as a 'free Apple branded USB Stick' that you use all the time.
Mine is still in its packaing if you want it. I can ship it to you if that is really just you want, instead of spamming the forums asking for an overpriced installation media when DVD makes much more economical sense for Apple and its users.
As for the scratching, reports on the MBA forum are that 1 use is enough to leave the thumb-drive in a less than pristine state. Not multiple. Not "reinstall the OS every week". 1 use. It's just that cheaply made and frankly, from having looked at it, I can agree it is. With no guides to insert it into the port properly, there is no question in my mind that it will get scratched up pretty bad the first time you try to use it.
more...
yorkshire
Dec 21, 06:28 PM
Thanks, but I don't need to grow up. Perhaps you should try accepting other people's opinions without resorting to insults - a much more significant indicator of maturity (unless you're actually asking me to grow older faster?)
There is absolutely zero logic to the rest of your post either. How has this helped the music industry exactly? As I have said all along, the UK chart is a glorified popularity contest. The most popular record, at the time, wins. People don't just buy the xfactor winners single because of the name - they buy it because they like it (and it's usually more than a few thousand btw). Whether you, or I, agree with that is irrelevant. It is fact. There has also been no significant reduction in music piracy as a result of this campaign.
There has been no 'rebellion'. All the campaign has done is increased the amount of money Sony Music Entertainment have taken in this Christmas (both of the Artists are attributed to Sony). This goes back to my original point about the whole thing being meaningless (unless of course the aim was to simply make more money for Sony). There will still be the xfactor next year, and the winner will still sell a barrowload of records.
I have been on the group on Facebook a few times, and many people have stated this is the 1st time they've downloaded a song legally. I know it isn't going to stop piracy, but it is definitely a step in the right direction. And you can't say there has been no reduction in piracy yet- its only been 1 day. If it gets just a handful of people to pay for songs rather than pirate them, then at least its done some good.
And how is the whole thing meaningless? At the end of the day, the chap who made the group didn't know Rage and Joe were both with Sony. He didn't know that he'd be (slightly) benefitting Cowell by choosing Rage. There was an interview on the BBC where he spoke about this, and he didn't care. All he wanted was a different single at the number 1 spot this year, and all everyone else who joined the group wanted was a different single at number 1. Thankfully Rage won.
And it doesn't matter if people don't like the song, I for one would have bought almost anything just to keep X Factoe from being number 1.
There is absolutely zero logic to the rest of your post either. How has this helped the music industry exactly? As I have said all along, the UK chart is a glorified popularity contest. The most popular record, at the time, wins. People don't just buy the xfactor winners single because of the name - they buy it because they like it (and it's usually more than a few thousand btw). Whether you, or I, agree with that is irrelevant. It is fact. There has also been no significant reduction in music piracy as a result of this campaign.
There has been no 'rebellion'. All the campaign has done is increased the amount of money Sony Music Entertainment have taken in this Christmas (both of the Artists are attributed to Sony). This goes back to my original point about the whole thing being meaningless (unless of course the aim was to simply make more money for Sony). There will still be the xfactor next year, and the winner will still sell a barrowload of records.
I have been on the group on Facebook a few times, and many people have stated this is the 1st time they've downloaded a song legally. I know it isn't going to stop piracy, but it is definitely a step in the right direction. And you can't say there has been no reduction in piracy yet- its only been 1 day. If it gets just a handful of people to pay for songs rather than pirate them, then at least its done some good.
And how is the whole thing meaningless? At the end of the day, the chap who made the group didn't know Rage and Joe were both with Sony. He didn't know that he'd be (slightly) benefitting Cowell by choosing Rage. There was an interview on the BBC where he spoke about this, and he didn't care. All he wanted was a different single at the number 1 spot this year, and all everyone else who joined the group wanted was a different single at number 1. Thankfully Rage won.
And it doesn't matter if people don't like the song, I for one would have bought almost anything just to keep X Factoe from being number 1.
whooleytoo
Sep 26, 10:57 AM
It seems to me that Apple are the good guys here for once, slapping down a company that is trying to trademark terms that are already in use albeit in a niche market!
Personally, I can't see how Apple could be seen to be the good guys in this case, given they're sending cease-and-desist letters to people using 'pod' (not "iPod") in their product names.
Personally, I can't see how Apple could be seen to be the good guys in this case, given they're sending cease-and-desist letters to people using 'pod' (not "iPod") in their product names.
more...
powerofmac
Aug 19, 10:13 AM
After numerous accusations from all over the world of Facebook violating private privacy rights they now do this...
Yep, I really thing that Facebook is going to go down with all this crap they are doing.
Microsoft's rep = crashing and copying Mac
Facebook's rep = lack of privacy and opt out NOT opt in
Yep, I really thing that Facebook is going to go down with all this crap they are doing.
Microsoft's rep = crashing and copying Mac
Facebook's rep = lack of privacy and opt out NOT opt in
asencif
Feb 28, 05:23 PM
Having installed lion, then re-ran the installer to change to lion server, it seems to re-install the os, although lion server seems to be more of an add-on (applications/services) rather than a a difference in OS.
With lion server i don't see apple releasing new server hardware other than utilising the mac mini / pro. all the services including the new profile tool look to be aimed at soho business for file-sharing/back-up or larger business utilising lion server as an add-on to current services/server to simply manage the profiling for idevices/computers, and maybe some file-sharing/podcasting/wiki or ichat.
there seems to be set-up/references for setting up idivices for use with MS Exchange/push mail which lion server still do sent seem to support for iphones/ipads.
Are there options to enable Open Directory Services, NFS, Software Update Server, XGRID? Also, are the Server Admin and Workgroup Manager tools included or replaced with something else?
I'm reading mixed things all over the web on what's gone and what isn't.
Thanks.
With lion server i don't see apple releasing new server hardware other than utilising the mac mini / pro. all the services including the new profile tool look to be aimed at soho business for file-sharing/back-up or larger business utilising lion server as an add-on to current services/server to simply manage the profiling for idevices/computers, and maybe some file-sharing/podcasting/wiki or ichat.
there seems to be set-up/references for setting up idivices for use with MS Exchange/push mail which lion server still do sent seem to support for iphones/ipads.
Are there options to enable Open Directory Services, NFS, Software Update Server, XGRID? Also, are the Server Admin and Workgroup Manager tools included or replaced with something else?
I'm reading mixed things all over the web on what's gone and what isn't.
Thanks.
more...
crazy4apple
Mar 28, 08:33 AM
Let the BloodBath of rumors Begin
The event of the year has been annouced, May Google, Microsoft, HTC, Samsung, LG, Motorola start your photocopiers lol :D
Will miss Bertrand Serlet at the keynote for Mac OS :(
:apple: for life
The event of the year has been annouced, May Google, Microsoft, HTC, Samsung, LG, Motorola start your photocopiers lol :D
Will miss Bertrand Serlet at the keynote for Mac OS :(
:apple: for life
SeaFox
Oct 27, 04:07 PM
- doesn't work on firefox (1.5) under WinXP
wfm
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.3) Gecko/20060426 Firefox/1.5.0.4
wfm
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.3) Gecko/20060426 Firefox/1.5.0.4
more...
alent1234
Dec 27, 07:34 PM
What type of fraudulent activity?
Id theft
find Ssn number and order iPhone
ssn owner fights the bill
thief resells the iPhone
Id theft
find Ssn number and order iPhone
ssn owner fights the bill
thief resells the iPhone
mkrishnan
Apr 29, 01:10 PM
But I agree in theory that we can cut down greatly on how much we drive. And higher gas prices will do that(which is good, even if we don't make as much off taxes as you would if driving levels stay the same)
The new wave of urban living will help too. If people don't have driving as an option because of price, or have it less, interest in public transit but also walking and biking will increase due to natural market pressures. However, many towns and cities in the US will have a major infrastructural gap because they have so many roads that are not cyclist / pedestrian friendly. They will likely change due to economic pressure, but cities investing in walkability now will be well poised to grow when/if such a time comes.
The new wave of urban living will help too. If people don't have driving as an option because of price, or have it less, interest in public transit but also walking and biking will increase due to natural market pressures. However, many towns and cities in the US will have a major infrastructural gap because they have so many roads that are not cyclist / pedestrian friendly. They will likely change due to economic pressure, but cities investing in walkability now will be well poised to grow when/if such a time comes.
more...
weiss
Oct 13, 03:49 AM
i really wonder: why not "made in america" or "made in europe"? :confused:
The manufacturing costs would escalate and Apple wouldn't profit nearly as much.
Boy I hope not. Unless they can get some cooler silicon off-board, giving up battery life for 12 FPS in Quake just isn't a good bargain for 97% of the market.
I hope they introduce that option. Then it would be up to the customer to pick integrated or dedicated graphics, depending on his[her] needs.
The manufacturing costs would escalate and Apple wouldn't profit nearly as much.
Boy I hope not. Unless they can get some cooler silicon off-board, giving up battery life for 12 FPS in Quake just isn't a good bargain for 97% of the market.
I hope they introduce that option. Then it would be up to the customer to pick integrated or dedicated graphics, depending on his[her] needs.
djinn
Jan 14, 08:51 AM
I purchased the App to compare it to Navigon and TomTom. While the app is fairly new, you would have to wonder how much testing they did before submitting it to app store.
I would say the app has some potential but needs a lot of work. No need to name all the issues since they are obviously already mentioned in the thread.
As of now, my trust with an Iphone GPS App would have to go to TomTom. ;)
I would say the app has some potential but needs a lot of work. No need to name all the issues since they are obviously already mentioned in the thread.
As of now, my trust with an Iphone GPS App would have to go to TomTom. ;)
more...
GFLPraxis
Aug 2, 07:50 PM
Wow.
I wonder if you could hack a 3G microcell to do this entirely in software.
I wonder if you could hack a 3G microcell to do this entirely in software.

strausd
Apr 10, 10:53 PM
Right now I have a 5870 running a 24" ACD and a Dell u2311h. I also have a TV that I want to to be hooked up, but right now I don't have an active adapter for it, but I do have an active one for the MDP to single link DVI. If I ever want to hook up the TV right now, the u2311h won't work. So I was thinking of getting another Dell u2311h and hooking that up to the 5870 with the active adapter. Then I was thinking of getting a cheap gt 120 just for the TV. I am not sure how will this would work and I would also like to get some of y'alls opinions.
maflynn
May 5, 01:37 PM
The real question is why do people still buy Macs (in increasing numbers) in spite of this... hmmm... makes you wonder...
Because more and more people are seeing that the hardware and software that apple produce is very good. Many people are willing to pay a premium for some items. there's also the coolness factor, apple used this quite adeptly with the iPods, iPhones and now Macs.
Also as AppleScruff1 stated some people here cannot admit that for many people windows is a great solution for their needs.
Not everyone needs a core i7 desktop to email their friends and family or check their facebook status. Simply put many people find windows to work out of the box without much fuss.
Because more and more people are seeing that the hardware and software that apple produce is very good. Many people are willing to pay a premium for some items. there's also the coolness factor, apple used this quite adeptly with the iPods, iPhones and now Macs.
Also as AppleScruff1 stated some people here cannot admit that for many people windows is a great solution for their needs.
Not everyone needs a core i7 desktop to email their friends and family or check their facebook status. Simply put many people find windows to work out of the box without much fuss.
Doctor Q
Sep 19, 11:43 PM
Yeah, I get to have my wisdom teeth out next Thursday, so it's anesthesia for me too!Good luck. Let us know how it goes this week.
wmmk
Oct 26, 03:36 PM
well,i suppose this begins the leave PPC users in the dumps trend. along with the 802.11pre-draft n or whatever cards in the C2D macs, upgrading is becoming a more realistic possibility for me every day.
jacg
Sep 25, 04:58 PM
?????????
I can display a 10,000 x 8.000 pixel picture on an iPod if I throw away 99% of the data as well. But why would you want to use such a huge file for no reason? Not only would it take up vast amounts of space, but you have to process all that "throwing away" info on the fly.
The new videos take longer for you to download, use more storage space on the iPod, require the iPod to downsample at playback, and cost Apple more bandwidth.
So why would Apple do all this if they weren't in fact planing to USE the new format on an iPod? Soem may say "it's for rregular Macs", but this size is too SMALL for to build a new standard for computers. So the only conclusion I can reach is that it has to be for a new iPod to come...
Front Row? iTV?
I can display a 10,000 x 8.000 pixel picture on an iPod if I throw away 99% of the data as well. But why would you want to use such a huge file for no reason? Not only would it take up vast amounts of space, but you have to process all that "throwing away" info on the fly.
The new videos take longer for you to download, use more storage space on the iPod, require the iPod to downsample at playback, and cost Apple more bandwidth.
So why would Apple do all this if they weren't in fact planing to USE the new format on an iPod? Soem may say "it's for rregular Macs", but this size is too SMALL for to build a new standard for computers. So the only conclusion I can reach is that it has to be for a new iPod to come...
Front Row? iTV?
efoto
Sep 18, 11:37 PM
I think you have a better chance of dating Emily Rossum than this Apple store girl. :p
I feel sick to my stomach....heavy nausea and I threw up into my mouth a little bit :(
Emmy Rossum, but thank you for at least knowing :D
Edit:
It's EMMY Rossum. ;)
Thanks clayj :)
I feel sick to my stomach....heavy nausea and I threw up into my mouth a little bit :(
Emmy Rossum, but thank you for at least knowing :D
Edit:
It's EMMY Rossum. ;)
Thanks clayj :)
zephead
Oct 10, 10:53 AM
G5 laptop finally.
:eek: G5 PowerBooks?! Haha, how long have we been waiting for those?
:eek: G5 PowerBooks?! Haha, how long have we been waiting for those?
No comments:
Post a Comment