Le Big Mac
Feb 25, 03:59 PM
One note: according to John Gruber (http://daringfireball.net/linked/2011/02/24/lion):
I assume that means you could go back and start over on that machine though if you wanted
I assume that means you could go back and start over on that machine though if you wanted
djellison
Dec 21, 05:26 PM
Just like Michelle McManus, Steve Brookstein, Shayne Ward and Leon Jackson eh Louis?
I don't know anyone who bought Joe's single. Indeed, I don't know anyone who bought a single by any of the people listed above. Why would you? They're not that good, the singles are not that good, it's just musical magnolia, dull, tedious, indeed - off all the things it could be described as, having the 'X-Factor' is not one. Will Young was something a bit unique and he has a personality. Leona is fairly damn good as well. THey are clearly the exception, however, not the rule.
Yet somehow, every year, this crap fills out TV screens for months, it fills the news for months, it fills the airwaves for months. Hours and hours of freaks embarassing themselves, then hours of programs talking about the hours of freaks embarassing themselves. Then the news, every news outlet, reporting on the freaks. Then it starts all over again, the finalists, none of whom exhibit any exceptional talent. Then hours and hours of programs dedicated to those 12, more hours dedicated to re-covering it, and again, it's in the news everywhere.
At the end of it, an average singer, a tedious song, and a very brief career.
I think this entire campaign was the rest of the country just saying "We're bored of this ****"
If that makes me pathetic or meaningless, then so be it.
I don't know anyone who bought Joe's single. Indeed, I don't know anyone who bought a single by any of the people listed above. Why would you? They're not that good, the singles are not that good, it's just musical magnolia, dull, tedious, indeed - off all the things it could be described as, having the 'X-Factor' is not one. Will Young was something a bit unique and he has a personality. Leona is fairly damn good as well. THey are clearly the exception, however, not the rule.
Yet somehow, every year, this crap fills out TV screens for months, it fills the news for months, it fills the airwaves for months. Hours and hours of freaks embarassing themselves, then hours of programs talking about the hours of freaks embarassing themselves. Then the news, every news outlet, reporting on the freaks. Then it starts all over again, the finalists, none of whom exhibit any exceptional talent. Then hours and hours of programs dedicated to those 12, more hours dedicated to re-covering it, and again, it's in the news everywhere.
At the end of it, an average singer, a tedious song, and a very brief career.
I think this entire campaign was the rest of the country just saying "We're bored of this ****"
If that makes me pathetic or meaningless, then so be it.
Lesser Evets
Apr 1, 09:05 AM
I pity the fools that watch any of those channels.
yg17
Oct 9, 08:54 PM
I'm ashamed I work for them. I've always considered Target the "good guys" Wal-mart but the more I get a taste for their corporate side (retail as well as pharmacy) I'm less impressed day by day.
I'm sorry.
I worked at that hellhole for 3 and a half years and it went towards the crapper with each passing day. I went on leave of absence for school, but didn't come back over the summer due to me having an internship elsewhere, and they sent me a letter telling me to either quit or come back, so I said goodbye.
Their business practices, while better than Wal-Mart, are nothing to be proud about either. Maybe if they spent more time improving the shopping experience and less time high pressuring customers, err, guests, for those god damn target visa cards, loss of DVD sales wouldn't be a problem
I'm sorry.
I worked at that hellhole for 3 and a half years and it went towards the crapper with each passing day. I went on leave of absence for school, but didn't come back over the summer due to me having an internship elsewhere, and they sent me a letter telling me to either quit or come back, so I said goodbye.
Their business practices, while better than Wal-Mart, are nothing to be proud about either. Maybe if they spent more time improving the shopping experience and less time high pressuring customers, err, guests, for those god damn target visa cards, loss of DVD sales wouldn't be a problem
more...
luckysob
Apr 1, 03:43 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)
Great to see Golf Channel added. They've upped their game this year.
Great to see Golf Channel added. They've upped their game this year.
UTclassof89
Apr 5, 10:26 AM
Wait....let me guess, their final conclusion is , that they still don't recommend it because of XYZ issues affecting a whopping 1% of the customers. Do I win the prize? :D
yeah; you win a prize. But the forum rules prohibit me from telling you what it is.
As others have said, a "recommended" from CR is a special level. The fact that iPhone 4 had a flaw (whether that flaw affected a few people, or lots of people), means it didn't attain that highest level, so instead it received a very good review.
It's like CNET's "editor's choice"--if a product doesn't get that, it doesn't mean the product is bad.
"can't recommend" does not equal "recommend against"
yeah; you win a prize. But the forum rules prohibit me from telling you what it is.
As others have said, a "recommended" from CR is a special level. The fact that iPhone 4 had a flaw (whether that flaw affected a few people, or lots of people), means it didn't attain that highest level, so instead it received a very good review.
It's like CNET's "editor's choice"--if a product doesn't get that, it doesn't mean the product is bad.
"can't recommend" does not equal "recommend against"
more...
leskimo
Apr 23, 07:28 AM
Well.. I ordered the 320m Air yesterday, after reading up on the latest rumors. Maybe I will regret this but since I plan to do some basic 3D (Maya) modelling and opengl graphics development on the go, I figured the sandy bridge upgrade will actually be more of a downgrade.
We'll see.
We'll see.
evilgEEk
Oct 9, 03:34 PM
I agree, except for one little thing===> HD Content distribution. No real solution for that one yet. You can't very easily d/l a 25GB HD movie. Even compressed, it's a massive freakin' file. I don't think there's a comsumer level internet connection that could support such content offerings.
I agree, but I don't have an HD TV, nor do I plan on having one any time soon, so I'm not too concerned about HD content yet. ;) But others definitely will be.
Just what can Target say? "If you allow Apple do do something that might cut into out DVD sales we will intentionally sell fewer DVD" Kind of like holding a gun to your head threatening to shoot.
I love it! :D
I agree, but I don't have an HD TV, nor do I plan on having one any time soon, so I'm not too concerned about HD content yet. ;) But others definitely will be.
Just what can Target say? "If you allow Apple do do something that might cut into out DVD sales we will intentionally sell fewer DVD" Kind of like holding a gun to your head threatening to shoot.
I love it! :D
more...
mcrain
Apr 7, 04:21 PM
The tea party is the republican party. There is NO tea party as third party. That's a complete fallacy. If they weren't a wholly owned faction of the Republican party, there would be tea party democrats too.
Pop quiz - name one tea party candidate who ran as a Democrat or name one elected official who claims to be a tea party member or supporter who doesn't vote with the Republicans.
Pop quiz - name one tea party candidate who ran as a Democrat or name one elected official who claims to be a tea party member or supporter who doesn't vote with the Republicans.
Amnak
Mar 13, 09:54 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)
Nope my ViPhone is good
Nope my ViPhone is good
more...
calcvita
Apr 5, 06:05 PM
Jeez - last time we had page after page of arguments about this silly NON ISSUE.
Article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_External_Power_Supply)
So Apple is probably already compatible with its USBA to 30 pin adaptor cable, and if not then a supplied Micro USB to 30 pin would be fine.
ah, ok! thanks for pointing that out! allthough i'd preffer a micro usb port ;)
Article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_External_Power_Supply)
So Apple is probably already compatible with its USBA to 30 pin adaptor cable, and if not then a supplied Micro USB to 30 pin would be fine.
ah, ok! thanks for pointing that out! allthough i'd preffer a micro usb port ;)
MacRumorUser
Jul 24, 03:05 AM
^ nice but too expensive.
100-150 euro more for it is a lot. Retailers are already throwing deals together such as free game, or at least cheaper game plus extra controllers.
I got the new machine with extra black controller, Pure & Lego Batman + newly released ToyStory 3 free.
100-150 euro more for it is a lot. Retailers are already throwing deals together such as free game, or at least cheaper game plus extra controllers.
I got the new machine with extra black controller, Pure & Lego Batman + newly released ToyStory 3 free.
more...
Chundles
Sep 28, 07:25 AM
10.4.9.1
Nup, guess you missed the InvisiText�
10.4.9.1 implies it's a new version of 10.4.9, if it's a brand new build it'll be 10.4.10 and if anybody wants to argue....
POW!! Right to the moon!!
Nup, guess you missed the InvisiText�
10.4.9.1 implies it's a new version of 10.4.9, if it's a brand new build it'll be 10.4.10 and if anybody wants to argue....
POW!! Right to the moon!!
Rigsby
Oct 25, 01:44 PM
I'm seriously tempted to go, either to Regent Street or Kingston, but I'm an Apple virgin when it comes to these sort of things.
Is it wise to get there seriously early, or could I still snag a shirt turning up at 5.30pm?
Is it wise to get there seriously early, or could I still snag a shirt turning up at 5.30pm?
more...
pengu
Oct 26, 11:12 PM
That's basically it. You pay the $100 because you don't want to read, learn and figure stuff out. Every Mac sold comes with enough software that you could set up your own services using your DSL or Cable Internet connection. Macs have web severs, FTP servers, email and "all the UNIX Stuff" You already have an iDisk right there on your desk that could be accessed from any computer that has a browser but it's easier for most people to pay $100 than to figure out how to make it work.
or you pay $100 because its not just $8.25 a month. how much will it cost you in time (yours), internet access costs, electricity, potential downtime etc. to "do it yourself".
I'm in australia, so its $129 here i think.
however. i currently make $50/hr so, unless i can guarantee that ALL functionality provided by .Mac will take me less than 2 1/2 hours a year (ignoring the cost of electricity for a machine running 24x7) its financially better for me to pay the $129.
and for all you google fans. fine. use it for free, but i prefer NOT to have advertising in my email thanks.
or you pay $100 because its not just $8.25 a month. how much will it cost you in time (yours), internet access costs, electricity, potential downtime etc. to "do it yourself".
I'm in australia, so its $129 here i think.
however. i currently make $50/hr so, unless i can guarantee that ALL functionality provided by .Mac will take me less than 2 1/2 hours a year (ignoring the cost of electricity for a machine running 24x7) its financially better for me to pay the $129.
and for all you google fans. fine. use it for free, but i prefer NOT to have advertising in my email thanks.
GekkePrutser
Apr 26, 06:52 AM
You'd rather USB 3 than Thunderbolt? Why would you want a slower IO rather than a freaking awesome super duper fast IO? Not sure why everyone wants USB 3 rather than Thunderbolt- hype? And don't give me it's gonna be the next FW BS.
Probably because you can actually buy devices with USB 3.0, and at a reasonable price.
I think Thunderbolt is a great idea, and it would be super on the MacBook Air (personally I'd love to see a Thunderbolt Gigabit Ethernet adapter), which is why I named it in the above list, but USB 3.0 is much more widespread and so the peripherals are cheaper.
Compare it to FireWire 800 devices: It would have been great to have an external drive with that connection but I never bought one because in the end it was too much of a price difference. It's a lot easier to put up with USB 2 speeds if it costs 40% less than FW800.
I hope Apple and intel will push Thunderbolt agressively and won't let it become a niche port like the way FW800 ended up. So yes, I do think there is a high risk of it becoming the next firewire.
Personally I'd prefer both but I don't see it happening in the next MBA, not until intel integrates it in their chipset.
Probably because you can actually buy devices with USB 3.0, and at a reasonable price.
I think Thunderbolt is a great idea, and it would be super on the MacBook Air (personally I'd love to see a Thunderbolt Gigabit Ethernet adapter), which is why I named it in the above list, but USB 3.0 is much more widespread and so the peripherals are cheaper.
Compare it to FireWire 800 devices: It would have been great to have an external drive with that connection but I never bought one because in the end it was too much of a price difference. It's a lot easier to put up with USB 2 speeds if it costs 40% less than FW800.
I hope Apple and intel will push Thunderbolt agressively and won't let it become a niche port like the way FW800 ended up. So yes, I do think there is a high risk of it becoming the next firewire.
Personally I'd prefer both but I don't see it happening in the next MBA, not until intel integrates it in their chipset.
more...
MikhailT
Mar 28, 09:05 AM
When has Apple ever made anything more than "just a small improvement"?
To many users, Snow Leopard is just a small improvement over Leopard.
To many users, Snow Leopard is just a small improvement over Leopard.
arn
May 2, 01:27 PM
Did they confirm that the table on which they put the two iPhones was totally even?
Did they confirm they did not photoshop? I doubt they would. But these days, they would do anything for a headline.
tipb also used calipers and found a difference. http://www.tipb.com/2011/04/28/white-iphone-4-roughly-02mm-thicker-black-iphone/
Otterbox, a maker of iPhone 4 cases, also confirms http://www.otterbox.com/iPhone-4-Reflex-Series-Case/APL7-I4XXX,default,pd.html?dwvar_APL7-I4XXX_color=20&start=2&cgid=apple-iphone-4-cases:
Not compatible with WHITE iPhone 4. Due to slight changes in the form factor for the white Apple iPhone 4 released this week, the OtterBox Defender Series, Commuter Series and Impact Series cases will not work with this new device.
as well as several other people.
You are quickly encroaching into wild conspiracy theory territory if you think all these people/sites are making this up.
arn
Did they confirm they did not photoshop? I doubt they would. But these days, they would do anything for a headline.
tipb also used calipers and found a difference. http://www.tipb.com/2011/04/28/white-iphone-4-roughly-02mm-thicker-black-iphone/
Otterbox, a maker of iPhone 4 cases, also confirms http://www.otterbox.com/iPhone-4-Reflex-Series-Case/APL7-I4XXX,default,pd.html?dwvar_APL7-I4XXX_color=20&start=2&cgid=apple-iphone-4-cases:
Not compatible with WHITE iPhone 4. Due to slight changes in the form factor for the white Apple iPhone 4 released this week, the OtterBox Defender Series, Commuter Series and Impact Series cases will not work with this new device.
as well as several other people.
You are quickly encroaching into wild conspiracy theory territory if you think all these people/sites are making this up.
arn

{1984}
Sep 23, 08:37 PM
i guess everyone knows about the whole "MHz myth" thing...
Reason for G4 processors killing the Pentium 4 is cuz of the pipeline and i'm not gonna bother cuz everyone probably knows...
Reason for G4 processors killing the Pentium 4 is cuz of the pipeline and i'm not gonna bother cuz everyone probably knows...
MacRumors
Nov 5, 06:11 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/11/05/why-an-rfid-enabled-iphone/)
Multiple reports have come in that Apple is researching (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/11/05/apple-experimenting-with-rfid-enabled-iphone-prototypes/) RFID (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/07/09/new-apple-iphone-patent-applications-surface-object-and-facial-recognition-messaging-voice-modulation/) integration (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/07/02/haptic-feedback-fingerprint-identification-and-rfid-tag-readers-in-future-iphones/) into the iPhone, but some may still be wondering what such functionality would bring to the table for consumers.
Firstly, we should note that RFID is a catch-all term that describes a vast array of technologies and standards. RFID tags can be relatively large and battery-powered, such as ones used in toll collection, to small "passive" tags that can be embedded into credit cards, drivers licenses (called "Enhanced Drivers Licenses" in the U.S.), passports, or stuck onto a piece of merchandise.
Currently, cell-phone usage of RFID technology is centered around Near Field Communication (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near_Field_Communication) (NFC). NFC has three main usage scenarios: a phone acting as an RFID tag; a phone acting as an RFID reader; and peer to peer communication (P2P).
In RFID tag mode, a phone could be used as a payment device (like a credit card), an identity card, or act as a car key. In RFID reader mode the phone would be able to interact with tags in its vicinity. This article and video (http://www.nearfield.org/2009/04/iphone-rfid-nfc) demonstrates how an iPhone with RFID could use physical objects to control media playback. And in P2P mode, Bluetooth pairing can be streamlined.
These are just a few ways that RFID could be used in an iPhone. When or if it becomes a reality isn't clear, but hopefully now you have a better idea of what the potential is for Apple's research in this area.
Article Link: Why an RFID-enabled iPhone? (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/11/05/why-an-rfid-enabled-iphone/)
Multiple reports have come in that Apple is researching (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/11/05/apple-experimenting-with-rfid-enabled-iphone-prototypes/) RFID (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/07/09/new-apple-iphone-patent-applications-surface-object-and-facial-recognition-messaging-voice-modulation/) integration (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/07/02/haptic-feedback-fingerprint-identification-and-rfid-tag-readers-in-future-iphones/) into the iPhone, but some may still be wondering what such functionality would bring to the table for consumers.
Firstly, we should note that RFID is a catch-all term that describes a vast array of technologies and standards. RFID tags can be relatively large and battery-powered, such as ones used in toll collection, to small "passive" tags that can be embedded into credit cards, drivers licenses (called "Enhanced Drivers Licenses" in the U.S.), passports, or stuck onto a piece of merchandise.
Currently, cell-phone usage of RFID technology is centered around Near Field Communication (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near_Field_Communication) (NFC). NFC has three main usage scenarios: a phone acting as an RFID tag; a phone acting as an RFID reader; and peer to peer communication (P2P).
In RFID tag mode, a phone could be used as a payment device (like a credit card), an identity card, or act as a car key. In RFID reader mode the phone would be able to interact with tags in its vicinity. This article and video (http://www.nearfield.org/2009/04/iphone-rfid-nfc) demonstrates how an iPhone with RFID could use physical objects to control media playback. And in P2P mode, Bluetooth pairing can be streamlined.
These are just a few ways that RFID could be used in an iPhone. When or if it becomes a reality isn't clear, but hopefully now you have a better idea of what the potential is for Apple's research in this area.
Article Link: Why an RFID-enabled iPhone? (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/11/05/why-an-rfid-enabled-iphone/)
iBorg20181
Oct 22, 04:26 AM
Exactly.
Apple using the integrated GMA950 is a bunch of crap... They just went cheap, it has NOTHING to do with power savings. Even an old Radeon Mobility 9700 would be better. I can't understand why Apple chose to do this seeing how they don't support it with some of their own software (FCP, Motion). They should have at least offered an upgrade option or put the GPU option in the blackbook only or something.
Exactly, spot-on correct!
The only reason Apple has graphically crippled the MBs is to force more people to buy the much more expensive, and profitable MBP, on buyers whose only need beyond a stock MB is .... a graphics chip.
Really, how much does Apple "save" by using IG vs. a cheap 64MB graphics chip .... certainly under $50. So offer it on the top-of-the-line BlackBook, and bump the price an extra $100, and it would sell through the roof, even more than it currently does. But Apple wants to squeeze every extra $$ out of its customers, so we aren't given the BTO option of a graphics chip in a MB, forcing us to spend an extra $1k for MBP, when all that many want/need is the chip.
:mad:
iBorg
Apple using the integrated GMA950 is a bunch of crap... They just went cheap, it has NOTHING to do with power savings. Even an old Radeon Mobility 9700 would be better. I can't understand why Apple chose to do this seeing how they don't support it with some of their own software (FCP, Motion). They should have at least offered an upgrade option or put the GPU option in the blackbook only or something.
Exactly, spot-on correct!
The only reason Apple has graphically crippled the MBs is to force more people to buy the much more expensive, and profitable MBP, on buyers whose only need beyond a stock MB is .... a graphics chip.
Really, how much does Apple "save" by using IG vs. a cheap 64MB graphics chip .... certainly under $50. So offer it on the top-of-the-line BlackBook, and bump the price an extra $100, and it would sell through the roof, even more than it currently does. But Apple wants to squeeze every extra $$ out of its customers, so we aren't given the BTO option of a graphics chip in a MB, forcing us to spend an extra $1k for MBP, when all that many want/need is the chip.
:mad:
iBorg
wrldwzrd89
Apr 2, 02:04 PM
I don't think Pages is horrible. It's not great, but it isn't quite as bad for me as everyone else finds it. I don't use it all that much (Keynote gets used far more than Pages does).
Full of Win
Apr 1, 09:18 AM
The channels that do not participate are just inching that much more toward obscurity.
Just recently we cancelled the cable subscription (still have KylinTV IPTV) for lack of use. Only one TV show was watched per week, and that can be purchased on iTunes in a superior format to what we got via cable, for a fraction of the cost of cable.
If my provider had an app like this, we would have stayed subscribed. Its arcane to sit down in front of a screen at a predetermined time to watch programming, it really is.
Just recently we cancelled the cable subscription (still have KylinTV IPTV) for lack of use. Only one TV show was watched per week, and that can be purchased on iTunes in a superior format to what we got via cable, for a fraction of the cost of cable.
If my provider had an app like this, we would have stayed subscribed. Its arcane to sit down in front of a screen at a predetermined time to watch programming, it really is.
ckd
Jun 11, 10:14 AM
disagree with you in England iphone is sell by 5 companies
All of them selling the same model, just with different SIM cards. The hardware itself isn't any different.
All of them selling the same model, just with different SIM cards. The hardware itself isn't any different.
No comments:
Post a Comment